Do you find yourself waking up frequently during the night or can’t sleep at all? Ever thought of using lavender oil for sleep?
You are missing out on something, trust me.
Not everyone can get that every night so for whatever reason, it might be some of us need a little help.
Well, you don’t always need to turn to medication, there are natural ways of helping you sleep better.
In this article, we’re going to show you exactly how you can use lavender oil for better natural sleep.
You’re probably thinking: can essential oils really help with insomnia?
Yes… They can.
Well, there’s a crazy amount of scientific research showing all the benefits lavender oil can have, one of which is better sleep.
One study reported that insomniacs wearing a lavender inhalation patch showed better sleep quality. (1) Another study gave participants a lavender oil supplement and again reported it was effective in improving their sleep. (2)
Lavender oil is a great natural relaxant and it helps you to feel calm and by slowing down your nervous system, which is the perfect recipe for sleep.
There are other oils that can help if you really don’t like the smell of lavender. Lots of floral oils are good, particularly sweet orange blossom. But lavender is generally recognized as the best for sleep problems. Also, lavender is cheaper than most alternatives.
Lavender oil works by putting you in slow-wave sleep. It slows down your heartbeat and relaxes your muscles. Moreover, there is a research that claims that lavender oil helps your brain in putting together memory blocks.
So, How to use Lavender Oil to improve sleep quality?
Here you go…
- Put few drops of lavender essential oil on your wrist and forehead.
- If you find the fragrance very strong then you can try rubbing few drops across your pillow or bedsheet. I bet you’ll full refreshed in the morning. Also, you can sprinkle some oil on a tissue paper and put it under your pillow.
- You can also buy an essential oil diffuser. Just make sure you turn it on and one hour before going to sleep. (However, it will produce the same results as applying the oil on pillow or wrist/forehead)
- Few of us love the idea before bed relaxing bath. Why not put a few drops of lavender into your bath before bedtime to help you relax and drift to sleep? Make sure you have some soft lighting like candles to help you wind down while you have a relaxing soak.
- If you and your partner are both having sleep problems, you could try giving each other a massage with lavender oil right before sleep.
I have Sensitive Skin, Can I use Lavender Oil?
Lavender shouldn’t be a problem but if you do react to essential oils you can dilute your oil in water inside a spray bottle. Then spray your pillows and sheets. You can add as much or as little oil as you want to depend on how strong you want your spray. Better sleep and a nice smelling bedroom. What’s not to like?
Is lavender oil safe for everyone?
Lavender is very safe to use, even around pets and children it shouldn’t be a problem. Just be careful if you do get any in your eyes make sure you wash it straight away with warm water. Also, make sure to keep your oil somewhere cool and out of sunlight so it lasts longer.
Happy sleeping! ?