Scratching itchy bumps on scalp and have no idea what to do?
Lice and dandruff aren’t always the reason.
The scalp is a protective layer of skin which consists of follicles and has blood vessels that maintain its supply. Exposed to the outside world, your scalp is prone to infections, insect bites, etc.
Itchy bumps on scalp are embarrassing, as well as, irritating.
In this blog post, I will go through the causes and treatment of itchy bumps on the scalp.
Read on to know more!
The Causes: Why Do I Have Itchy Bumps on Scalp?
For you to choose the right treatment, you should first know the actual cause of the itchy bumps on your scalp
Don’t worry, I’ll help you figure it out!
In this section of the blog post, I will go through the various causes.
Let’s take a peek:
Hives flare up suddenly. The reason why they act up is allergic reactions to food or due to exposure to the cold, heat, or sunlight.
Hives are common reasons for itchy bumps on the scalp and do not have long-term effects.
These don’t last longer than 12 hours and may vary in shape and size.
This is caused due to increased activity of sebaceous glands and a build-up of dirt and debris on the scalp.
Acne is irritating, painful, and itchy.
This leads to an overgrowth of bacteria which can even increase the size of the acne.
Two types of cysts you can have are:
Both of these can make you have small boil-like bumps on your scalp.
Cysts form under the layer of your skin and are filled with a semi-solid, white, and oily liquid.
#4. Seborrheic dermatitis
This skin disorder can lead to red and itchy rashes on your scalp that have flaky skin.
This is also known as cradle cap and dandruff and can flare and clear by itself throughout your life.
This causes your skin to have thick itchy scales. A genetic and chronic skin disease, Psoriasis is not contagious.
It affects the skin of the knees, elbows, and scalp.
- Head lice may cause you to have a tingling sensation as well as itching. Lice spread quickly and need immediate attention.
- Scab-causing mites cause itchy bumps on the scalp. These are a result of an infestation of mites on your head.A severe itch is the main symptom accompanied by skin rashes, blisters, and red bumps.
Folliculitis is this result of fungal or bacterial infection of the hair follicles.This leads to itchy, painful, and red pus-filled bumps on your scalp.
#9. Skin Cancer
In extreme cases, some form of skin cancer could lead to itchy yet painful bumps on your head.
I advise you to give the doctor a visit so that you know the exact cause of your itchy bumps on the scalp. This will help you in choosing the right course of treatment.
Let’s take a look at some treatment options available!
How to Get Rid of Itchy Bumps on Scalp
I helped you figure out the main causes of the itchy bumps on your scalp. In this section, I’ll explain the treatment options.
Let’s take a look.
Treatment for Hives, Cysts, and Dermatitis
- Hives: Your doctor will prescribe you either an over-the-counter or a prescription antihistamine
- Cysts: Some cysts need to get drained, others may even require surgery depending on the size and location
- Seborrheic dermatitis: You can use over-the-counter medicated and prescription shampoos to treat this
Let’s take a look at a few general treatments to help you:
- A diet rich in micronutrients and protein helps boost your immunity and fight allergies and other conditions
- Drinking adequate amount of water to detoxify the body helps as well
- Over-the-counter shampoos that contain salicylic acid, ciclopirox, zinc pyrithione, tar, selenium sulphide, and ketoconazole can help you as well
- Oiling your scalp and keeping it moisturized is also known to be effective in treating itchy bumps on scalp
Home Remedies for Itchy Bumps on Scalp
Finally, let’s take a look at some effective home remedies:
- Using tea tree oil diluted with a carrier oil helps you moisturize your scalp and kills the bacteria
- Lavender essential oil is also a good choice to help you reduce the inflammation and itchiness
- Rosemary oil has antibacterial properties which help treat infection
- A hair mask of oatmeal: Soak some oatmeal in water for 15 minutes. Add a few drops of Lavender and Rosemary oil and mix it. Apply it on your head your head for 30 minutes and wash it off. This will relieve you of the dryness and itchiness
- Massaging some lime juice on your scalp can help cure the itchy bumps on your scalp as well as dandruff
- Apple Cider Vinegar is another thing you can apply to your hair after shampooing them to help get rid of dandruff and itchy bumps
Although itchy bumps on scalp respond well to home remedies, I will advise you to get them looked into by your general physician to rule out cancer or allergies.
Here’s a mask that will help as well:
Over To You
Itchy bumps on the scalp are irritating and embarrassing.
However, they are caused due to several reasons, and it is important to know why you have these bumps to treat them.
While these mostly go away on their own or by using home remedies, I still recommend you to see a physician to rule out some serious diseases. After all, it is your body, and you should take good care of yourself.
Even if it’s something as minor as bumps on your scalp.
Still, have any questions? Let me know in the comments!